Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Thank You Target, for Helping Me Understand Unrealistic Beauty Standards with Your Bizarre Photoshopping Snafu

You may have seen these photos from Target's website, where a Junior's swimsuit model was bizarrely photoshopped. (Shout out to The Ethical Adman, who first spotted it.) Here's the full ad:
At first glance, it looks kind of normal, minus her incredibly long, thin arm and the fact that the place where most people's arms narrow at the wrist occurs a few inches above her hand. But moving onto the important piece of terrible photoshopping: 
A few inches of her crotch have literally been removed, evidenced by the fact that her swimsuit magically continues to cover a portion of her legs. 

What on earth happened here? 

We've been told for a while now that the images we see are so altered and distorted that they present a beauty standard for women that is unattainable. But no matter how much I hear that, read about that, and see cool pictures or videos that illustrate the process, it's still difficult to keep that fact in mind when I see women in any magazine, online ad, billboard, commercial, etc. So I'd like to thank this amazing ad for helping me really get it - here's a whole new standard that is literally, physically impossible, not to mention undesirable and a more than a bit nausea-inducing to really think too hard about. 

And I'm sorry, I know that the square crotch cutout is really the star here, but that arm! That creepily elongated hand!

Thanks, Target. I appreciate you helping me and millions of other women better understand the ridiculously unattainable beauty standards to work hard to create for us so that we'll buy your products. You're the best. 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE! Yes, I saw this yesterday posted by Jezebel and it definitely made me see everything about the "photoshopping" business a bit clearer. I also have a difficult time remembering that the women on magazine covers are not really themselves. It's like you have to undo a jedi mind-trick or something. Ugh. I wish more 100% real women were placed in print. How refreshing would that be?

    ReplyDelete